Monday, July 16, 2007

I'm always interested in hearing other peoples beliefs, and trying to find truth in the way they view the world. I remember reading a quote from Buddha that I really loved. I didn't remember it exactly, but the other day I was trying to find it on the Internets. So here it is:

“Believe nothing. No matter where you read it,Or who said it, Even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason, And your own common sense.”

Buddha

So, I like to think that there is truth and wisdom in this saying. For myself I want to be sure that everything that I believe, I believe because I have studied it out in my mind, and felt that it is true in my heart. I want to own my beliefs. Maybe Buddhist have a similar belief in the spirit guiding your 'common sense' toward truth. Anyway, I thought you might like it, so I'm sharing it with you.
PS. That's the sign for Om.
PSS. There's a little voice in my head from a Tool song: "Think for yourself, question authority..." Maybe I'm a bit more of an anarchist/nihilist than I thought. Then again, maybe not.

No comments: